I’ll be honest… Being highly organized is not my strong suit. My desk (and the surrounding area) is chronically messy. I told myself at the start of last school year that I’d put everything back in its place and leave my desk clean every night before I left, in an attempt to be more neat and tidy. I’m not sure why I thought that’d last more than two weeks (because it didn’t), but hey, at least I tried. Even with my coworkers right there, cheering me on, asking every few days how it was going and encouraging me to keep it up, I STILL couldn’t keep it going for any prolonged period of time. It’s just not in my nature, I guess. In my defense, though, among the piles of papers in and on top of my desk, I still generally know where things are… an “organized mess” if you will.
That being said, I’ve tried a number of ways to try and be more efficient and organized with my data collection. This is the one area that I would REALLY like to be more organized in, so I don’t just have pieces of scrap paper shoved into a folder or binder, and then have to waste precious time transferring over to the actual data sheets. But, I think I’ve finally found a method that works really well for me!
What I started with…
My first year, I started off with a log sheet from grad school, but soon adopted another method from a coworker– instead of 1 page listing all the goals, each goal had a separate page within the binder.
Lesson plan/data collection together– two for one!
Another method I tried last school year, that I found that I really liked as far as ease of use for group data collection and for daily Medicaid billing, was this document, from Public School SLP:
I added an extra column on the end for data. It was super easy to sit down at the end of each morning/afternoon and flip through each page and enter in the daily logs for my Medicaid kids. BUT, it’s not really conducive to tracking data for each individual child across multiple sessions; I was stuck with a big packet with EVERY kid’s data when I tried to look back at an individual child’s data/progress. So, while it worked well for a lesson plan document, it didn’t quite work out as well as I had envisioned for data keeping.
… and finally ended up with!
This is the data sheet I’m currently using. Grab an editable version here
It’s probably similar to many other SLP’s data sheets.. but one thing I do differently from most other data sheets I’ve seen, is that instead of just minutes, I put the actual time on there (i.e. 1230-1245 rather than “15m”). This just makes it easier for me for Medicaid billing– I don’t have to flip back and forth between my data sheets and my schedule– especially because my schedule in preschool is changing constantly with all of the new evaluations from screenings and infant/toddler transitions. If I’m doing Medicaid for a kid 3 weeks back, their current time slot on my schedule may not be the same time I saw them 3 weeks ago!
I keep my data sheets in folders instead of binders– I’ve tried the binder thing, and it just didn’t work for me. Also included in their folders are language/fluency/intelligibility sample forms.
The language sample form is front/back and has 50 lines total. The blue form is for intelligibility or fluency samples, and each set of boxes has 100 spots for +/- so each sample is based off 100 words. Makes for quicker and easier division! 🙂
I also have these forms in their folder, from Playing With Words 365– Grab them here and here
|Data sheet for Cycles for my phonological
|This is one I haven’t used yet, but plan to put in each kid’s folder this school year.. a great visual of progress on goals to show parents at conference or annual IEP time!|
So that’s my method to the madness– what I’ve tried and what works best for me! Check out the original link up post at Crazy Speech World (by clicking on the first image at the top of this post) to see what methods other SLPs are using!